Cable and broadcast TV is losing ground to streaming when it comes to video entertainment. A growing number of people are enjoying entertainment over-the-top (OTT) platforms like Netflix and Hulu, both of which are exciting for viewers. With OTT technology, even small businesses can reach a wider audience, find their audience, and make money. To take advantage of this exciting opportunity, here’s how to create an OTT channel.
Instead of using traditional infrastructures such as cable or broadcast TV, OTT platforms stream video content directly to viewers via the internet. Streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, Sling TV, and others are available for you to sign up for, as long as you have an internet connection and a mobile device.
In contrast to regular TV, OTT channels require only Internet access. Traditionally, TV stations broadcast over the airwaves or through specialized cable infrastructure, which requires antennas or cable subscriptions. Due to its complexity, cost, and tight control, not everyone can access it.
With internet and streaming technology catching up with cable and broadcast TV when it comes to video quality and speed, it is now possible for anyone to set up an OTT platform to deliver video to viewers anywhere they are.
You can easily create your own OTT channel. Your only requirement is video content, a server to host your video, and a place to stream it from. Here’s how:
· Start by assembling your content. You can create video content that has value to your target audience regardless of whether you’re a filmmaker, musician, fitness professional, etc. You can lease video content like movies and shows even if you’re not a content creator and just want to set up a channel.
· The next step is to find a video hosting service. Hosting, content management, monetization tools, and even help with the next step – streaming is provided by companies such as Dacast, Zype App Creator, Brightcove, and Vimeo OTT.
· As soon as your video content is hosted and ready to go, all you need is a streaming outlet. Twitch, Facebook, or YouTube live are among the platforms that can interact directly with hosting services, and some work with services such as Restream to stream to multiple platforms, while others help you build your streaming app, similar to the apps you know like Netflix or ESPN+, which allows you to broadcast live.
There are many ways in which OTT content creators and platforms monetize their content. For monetizing your video platform, there are a few common strategies:
· SVOD (subscription video on demand) works based on subscriptions. To access video content at will, viewers pay a regular fee (usually monthly). Netflix, for instance, charges a monthly fee.
· TVOD (transactional video on demand) is also known as a pay-per-view service. Viewers can pay for videos one at a time with this model. One example is renting movies for a one-time fee.
· AVOD (advertising-based video on demand) refers to platforms like YouTube. By selling ads to other companies, you don’t have to charge viewers for access. In comparison to traditional TV ads, AVOD offers the advantage of being able to target audiences more closely, leading to better profitability for advertisers. This can enhance your channel’s appeal.
· Video content can also be monetized through merchandise. There is no limit to what content creators can sell – from apparel to posters to DVDs. Fiverr’s e-commerce experts can help you if you need assistance.
Once you know how to create an OTT channel, you need to take one more step: spread the word! Promoting your channel is essential to attracting viewers, and Fiverr’s diverse community of video marketers is the best way to do it. Find the right partner to make the most of your new OTT channel today.