The use of social media marketing (SMM). Can it really contribute to the growth of my business? To answer your question, yes, it does help – a great deal! In my experience as a marketer, this is one of the most common questions small businesses ask. To be successful with social media marketing, it is important to have a clear understanding of what content marketing entails.
The Pew Research Center reports that 71 percent of online American adults use Facebook, 28 percent use LinkedIn, 28 percent use Pinterest, 26 percent use Instagram, and 23 percent use Twitter. Is there anything more you could ask for?
Let’s look at some of the ways social media marketing can benefit your small business in order to better understand what social media marketing is and how it can benefit your small business:
- Demonstrating your expertise. After some time, your audience will begin to view your company as a thought leader in your field, and won’t hesitate to share your message with their fellow followers. A powerful marketing tool is word-of-mouth advertising (WOMMA).
- Contributes to the development of relationships. You should not limit your efforts to sharing interesting content with your followers. It is all about creating a relationship with your audience by building trust and ensuring that they are engaged with your content.
- Keep an eye on the activities of your competitors. When developing a social media marketing strategy, it is imperative to keep an eye on your competitors. Not only does it provide you with insights into the type of content you should be sharing, but it also helps you determine how you can differentiate yourself from your competitors.
- Cost-effective. Despite the fact that SMM is not entirely free, it is extremely cost-effective. In fact, posting content across social media is free, but it is the time spent on this process that costs money. There is no substitute for time! Marketing your business across every single social network can be very time-consuming, and some networks may not be suitable for your business. Your business should focus on the main social networking sites that will be most beneficial to your business (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Google+, and YouTube).
- Efficacious in obtaining organic search results. There is no doubt that social media plays a significant role in your search engine optimization. It is important to create shareable and engaging content across social networking sites in order to alert search engines like Google that people are actually interested in your content. Google, therefore, rewards your website with a domain authority over other websites that do not utilize social media to promote their business. Isn’t that cool?
The use of social media as part of your content marketing strategy is only one component. Shared images online for the purposes of gaining “Likes” and followers are just a small part of the process. Creating relationships with your audience involves attracting them to your amazing content, gaining control of your online image, and engaging them with the amazing content you share. As the content you share reflects the nature of your business, if you publish cheap, irrelevant content, then your visitors will have the same impression of you.
Your social media pages should follow the same rule. Maintain your social networking sites professionally and update them on a regular basis. Listed below are some tips to ensure that you have everything you need:
- Logo of the company.
- Provide a link to your website (if you do not have a website, you are in serious trouble).
- Biographical information about the company (short, sweet, and to the point).
- The cover photo and profile photo should be of the proper size.
- Keep your social media accounts active (don’t abandon them).
When it comes to developing a social media marketing strategy for a small business, most business owners are skeptics. When you are running your own company and keeping in touch with social media, it can be both overwhelming and time-consuming. Due to this, it is crucial that you understand how much effort social media marketing requires. You could benefit from some guidance from the experts in order to jumpstart your social media marketing campaign and make your business more visible online.